RIP Whirl-Pool Oven 1985-2010
I should be sleeping right now, but I had caffeine way too late in the evening and now I'm reaping what I've sowed from that. Grrr.
I was true to my word from earlier today (it's technically Thursday, but it's basically 1:00am so it still feels like Wednesday to me). I went to the gym and had an awesome workout! I don't know what happened, because I haven't worked out in almost a week, but when I hit the elliptical tonight, I was running twice as fast as I normally do and I had the endurance to keep up that pace the whole time. I was starting to develop a mild side-stitch, but I tried my best to ignore it, as long as it didn't get too severe. Mind over matter, right?? I don't know if I'm starting to whip into shape, or if it was 5 new songs on my ipod (to celebrate passing the 5 pound bench-mark) or a combination of both, but I was kicking some boo-tay! I followed that up with working my lower legs on the weight machines and then relaxing in the sauna for about 20 minutes and chatting with random people.
I mentioned how I signed up for a meal-plan subscription based on the points system, and I have thoroughly enjoyed the meals thus far. Tonight's recipe was "Moroccan Chicken", which is basically what it sounds like...a healthy Mediterranean pasta dish. I was uber excited about cooking dinner tonight, and it was a recipe that did require some slicing, dicing and sauteing before hand. Right as the meal was about 75% done, I heard an insanely loud "POP!!" accompanied by what looked like a flash of lightening coming up from behind the stove. It scared the ever-living crap out of me, I jumped up in the air and screamed and my husband came scrambling into the kitchen. The stove also quit working about that time too, so my delicious meal was an epic failure. I eventually had to just shove it down the disposal...nobody wants half cooked chicken, tomatoes, onions and pasta. Brad thinks it may be a short and could be fixed, but I'm not so sure. The stove is about 25 years old, as is this house. I think it was just this stoves "time." But here is the irony of the situation...
For the first time, I was upset over the prospect of not being able to cook for the next few days!! While I am a pretty good cook, it's something that is seen as a bit of a chore. I was so pumped about these new recipes that every evening was a new adventure to me, something to look forward to at the end of the day. Normally I would jump at the chance to just grab fast food instead, but I guess this is the budding sign of a new Julie, because I did NOT want to do take-out. It was with much grumbling and venting on my behalf that I left to go to the nearest Subway. So, needless to say, it's rather ironic that when I'm actually thrilled to be cooking (and healthy meals at that), the oven/stove decides to bite the dust. But, even if we have to get a new stove/oven (and will have to put it on a credit card, which I'm NOT happy about), I'm going to see the positive in the situation and realize that my mindset and attitude is starting to change for the better, and this little event just made me realize it!






Good for you!! I think I would've ordered pizza, so I'm very proud of you :)
ReplyDeleteDon't feel bad for Whirl-Pool Oven. I'm sure it's in a better place.
ReplyDeleteI'm impressed that you went to subway. Great choice, and you'll be happy to have that pretty(ier as the case may be) oven soon.
Have I told you lately that I love you? Well, I do- and I miss you, too :).
ReplyDeleteIsn't it ironic? A little toooo Ironic. (I was singing alanis morset -sp?)
ReplyDeleteWay to go for picking Subway and for learning to enjoy cooking. I have asked God to help me to learn to love to cook, mainly because I think it is good for my family. Anyways, look at craigslist for your "new" oven, you might score a deal.