When I was in better shape, I would always go to spin classes. At Pivotal, they are a blast! There is loud music of different genres, lots of fans and the ac is cranked up, and the room is completely dark except for some stage lighting and a disco ball. One of the instructors would always say, "You have to get out of your own way in order to achieve your goals."
Tonight I had every intention of going to the gym. I went yesterday and did some cardio that would be "easy" for the physically fit person, but it was certainly on the "strenuous" realm for me. Even today, I felt the aches and pains of sore muscles (and shin splints). I know the best way to combat that lactic acid is to work out again. So, I made concrete plans to go to the gym and I even told a friend to look for me while she was there. Then, there were reports of impending inclement weather. (In South Carolina, even a dusting of snow is considered "treacherous"). We take that stuff pretty seriously around here. When I left work, I did see some misting and some snowflakes, but nothing life threatening. And what did I do?? I used that as an excuse to not work out. My husband doesn't prefer me to be out in that kind of weather if I don't have to, and I certainly didn't push the envelope. I gave in. What a cop out.
So what was the true obstacle? The snow? Or me? I think it was me. Not only did I let down a friend who was looking forward to working out with me, I let down myself even more. I got in my own way. However, a new "blogger friend" told me today that failure is a lesson learned. Even in education, effective teachers "monitor and adjust." So I'm not going to let this failure be a set back...it's going to be a lesson learned and I'm going to jump back into things tomorrow. After all, tomorrow is another day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






Julie...I did call you to motivate you just one last time; however, if you read my blog, it would have been better that you weren't there. I was in a funk after I left that dang gym. UGH...I will not give it away...you will just have to read my blog. By the way...I will be going to the gym tonight to do cardio and my back workout. Because last night was a HUGE flop...I will be running 6 miles before I leave that dang gym. Let me know what time you plan on being there We can meet...maybe even stretch in the sauna afterwards!! I did miss you; however, I am proud of you for taking the time to recognize the issue and allowing the the situation to motivate rather than discourage you. So that you know as your workout/accountability partner, I won't let you get away with not doing YOUR best!!!!! Love you!
ReplyDeleteNo worries. It's one day missed. Today is a new day. This is a long process. I've always struggled with trying to have the "perfect" weight loss. Well, it's just not reality. So, yesterday is gone and today is not over. Have a great Friday :)
ReplyDelete"You have to get out of your own way in order to achieve your goals." That is so true! I'm going to go around quoting that to myself everytime I go to skip out on my workout or blow my diet. I'm sure today will be a better day for all of us (you too Corletta)!
ReplyDelete"a failure is a lesson learned"
ReplyDeleteI like that :)