Thursday, January 14, 2010

Feeling the Burn!!

"You must begin to think of yourself as the person you want to be." David Viscott
Wow, this is the first post since Monday! I usually don't go this long without blogging, but working full time and having to really hyper focus on working out/eating right every day this week has taken it's toll on how often I get on here. Many times I will log on here to write, and then I get distracted by some of the other blogs I'm following. I really enjoy hearing other people's perspectives on weight loss.


This week, I've done even better. I have counted every single point that has gone into my mouth (although today I think I might have eaten more than I should have...yay for allowance points)! I have gone to the gym every day and this week I added weights into my routine. I certainly can feel the burn.


Does anyone know the feeling of working a muscle group extremely rigorously, and then having to use it in a real-life situation that same day? That happened to me yesterday...I had to carry a pit bull from one end of the animal hospital to the other because she refused to walk (long, pitiful story). She was dead-weight in my arms, except for when she flailed a few times. My arms were shaking and felt like the were about to give out, but I knew that dropping her was NOT an option! So, my poor biceps/triceps are really feeling it today! But there is a feeling of satisfaction that comes along with being so sore, it's like a tangible way of knowing you worked your butt off. Sometimes, I run on an elliptical or treadmill for what seems like an eternity, and I don't feel much different. But pumping some iron is so motivating!


Another thing I've noticed since using the weight machines is that my lower back pain is starting to dissipate. Maybe that's just my imagination, but I really can feel a difference! I'm weighing myself tomorrow morning, but even if I don't budge much, I'm going to try not to be disappointed. My back problems seem to be reversing and I'm forming new habits. (Now if only I can repeat that mantra to myself over and over if the scale decides to be stupid again)!


I've decided once I lose my first ten pounds, I'm going to reward myself with 10 new songs on the i-pod. I haven't really downloaded anything on there since this summer, so the songs I do have are becoming a bit mundane. I love ALL genres of music...my little i-pod shuffle is so eclectic that I have everything from Lady Gaga to Kellie Pickler to Micheal Jackson to Good Charlotte. So with that said, I would LOVE suggestions from ya'll (whether it be as a comment on here, or a comment on facebook from my non-blogging followers--which makes up the majority right now). What are your favorite songs to work out to? I was thinking about downloading "Bad Romance" and "Sexy Chick". I love anything with a good beat and anything about hot looking women...I try to imagine that it's me...haha!

7 comments:

  1. Girl, you are seriously inspiring me to get off of my but and work out! Way to go!!!
    When I doooo workout, I love to listen to some Gaga and Black Eyed Peas! While they "normally" wouldn't be my first musical picks, they have some MAD workout beats!
    I'm really enjoying your blog!
    Keep up the good work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read an article in Real Simple last night that discussed if you strengthen your back muscles and abs it can help with back pain. Also, once I had a trainer session at the gym and he worked my legs so much that I could barely walk for 4 days! It was terrible. I could barely sit in the bathroom and walk up and down the steps at work. I never met with that trainer again...it was terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The best part about being sore is that it's going to be hard to top the soreness at the beginning. I've been through this healthy losing cycle two or three times, and I always end up trying to get back to that first soreness level. Course I'm crazy... ;)

    Yeah, I like BEP's but my fav is Viva la Vida by Coldplay for now. I also like Heart of Glass by Blondie, and to really make me eclectic I like Hooked on a Feeling by Blue Swede. It makes me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like you doing great!! I'm so happy to hear it :)

    There have been times when I've worked my arms so hard that when I come home and take a shower...my arms would shake when I tried to blow dry my hair afterwards.

    Lately, I've been listening to Miranda Lambert. I just love her music.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone for the encouragement and suggestions! I'm going to check all of those songs out...I also love "Gunpowder and Lead" by Miranda Lambert...it's one of my favorite songs to run to! Michelle, thanks for that info....I wasn't sure if it was my imagination or not, but I guess it's true! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the honesty and the transparency in your blogs! I wanted to comment on the back pain situation. When I was at my starting weight, I definitely felt lower back pain in my regular, everyday life. However, at my gym there's a machine for back exercises that you sit down on and lean back to push the weights backwards. It's kind of like sit-ups in reverse. It's one of the easiest exercises ever--I could do them for reps upon reps with no pain the next day...but since it's working your core--and your lower back especially--it really helps with the back pain. As soon as I starting using that machine, I no longer had twinges of pain in my back even after the longest day on my feet. Anyway...I love reading your site. Keep up the awesome work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Leah...thanks! I have done that machine recently and I do think that may be what is making the differnece. I love it, because the part that you lean on kind of rolls across your back and makes you feel like you're getting a back massage!

    ReplyDelete