Sunday, January 31, 2010

Cabin fever sets in!!




"Nobody ever blamed a blizzard on a single snowflake."


Last night, I was on the phone with a friend who is in the same boat as I am, and feeling very discouraged. Don't worry, I'm not gonna name off any names, but you know who you are. :) We both have about the same amount to lose, and set off to lose weight at the same time. We even had a little bit of a bet going, where whoever lost the most weight each month would have to buy the other person lunch. However, things haven't been going as great for her, and I know why...she's a perfectionist. I've worked with her before and there were times where I'd have to just tell her "Let's call it a day, and go HOME!" Can you figure out who ISN'T the perfectionist in this friendship?? Anyways, she's in a job that is pretty high-stress, and it can be difficult to make the right choices when you are stressed out. Worrying about eating right is just one more thing on her plate. She is also like me...when I go to eat out, the last thing I want to order is a salad...ew. But back to the perfectionist part, when she makes one bad choice, she gets very discouraged and feels like giving up. After our conversation, I began to reflect on what we discussed. I looked at the snow starting to accumulate outside (in SC that's a rare sight...about once or twice a winter), and realized that a snow storm isn't caused by just one snowflake. It's caused by millions and billions of them. Weight gain and weight loss follows the same principal. Weight gain isn't going to be caused by one poor choice, any more than we are going to lose 20 pounds by making one positive choice. Weight gain and weight loss stems from the tens and hundreds of choices we make each and everyday. You won't see results right away...it has to "accumulate". If we make a bad choice, we can't let that be a setback. If we make a good choice, we have to just realize that it will take a little while to see our efforts materialize into something, and that doesn't justify pigging out for the rest of the day. We have to be realistic with our goals, and eat in a way that is healthier, but not punishment. Eventually we'll see it pay off, even if it's not lightening fast. Anyways, I hope this helps my friend out, and anyone else that is reading this (including myself).


Speaking of snowfall, anyone that lives in the South or mid-Atlantic area has probably seen plenty of it! (And yes, that little house with the 1980's Robin's egg colored siding is mine)! I don't know about ya'll, but snow and ice makes me want to just eat comfort food! Around here, if there is any accumulation, (especially the icy crap) life comes to a screeching halt. I've never seen Wal-Mart on a Saturday afternoon so deserted (it was like Wal-Mart at 3am). Anyways, when cabin fever sets in, I just want to stuff my face!! I don't know if it's my body going into survival mode, the fact that I'm watching TV 24-7 and that makes me get the munchies, or WHAT but I seriously wanted to pig out. Is it sad that when we made our treacherous Wal-Mart run yesterday that ingredients for chili, along with wine and Pillsbury cinnamon rolls, were on my list of "essentials"?? haha! I didn't do horrible yesterday, and I resisted the urge to bake brownies out of sheer boredom. I did, however, drink a big glass of wine and ate two cinnamon rolls. And you can forget gym activity this weekend, because I'm sure they are closed down. The bright side is that I've seriously been needing some down-time and this weekend was the perfect opportunity. I'll be a well-rested, energetic person this week, which will make for plenty of gym time!!

8 comments:

  1. I like the analogy of the snow flakes, that is very true. I'm a perfectionist as well. Order and perfect are my favorite words :)

    That is a huge pitfall for weight loss. I have to make myself view it differently. My brain has to be forced into accepting lack of perfection. The only way I will ever succeed long term is to embrace imperfection.

    Glad you are getting some much need relaxation. Try to stay warm :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im with you! I live in East TN (Smoky Mtns) and we got the snow/ice too. Im so ready to get OUT!!! So I have been cooking and freezing meals all day! I had 5 meals going at once (worked up a sweat lol). I loved what you said about the snowflakes and our weight loss. Totally true! And it def helps to think of it that way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it, "nobody ever blamed a blizzard on a single snowflake." And it is something I needed to hear about. People have been giving me treats like it's Christmas or something. I have a cheesecake downstairs in the freezer keeping the mini-cupcakes company. There's ice cream my husband brought home two weeks ago (new family record) and then as a thank you for a play-date, this little girls' parents brought 4 dozen frozen cookie dough balls. Luckily, I had a lot of people to say thank you to. MOst of the cookies are gone. BLECH. Why do I feel like stuffing my face?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great example with the snowflakes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julie,
    Thanks for your post. Although I was not the friend you were talking about, your post still spoke to me as if I were. I tell ya, this dang snow set me back. Why? I got off of routine and ate things that I should not have eaten. I beat myself up over it. However, tomorrow is a new day. Starting over is discouraging. Hopefully this will get easier.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Post! I currently live in Texas but a few years ago when I lived in Pa...... I knew all to well about cabin fever!!!!!!

    I was a lot like your friend. I would get my mind set on "this is how I'm going to lose the weight", and then the minute I did one thing that wasn't a part of my plan I would feel like a failure & then I was reminded that it's taking forever to see results. So to keep my perfectionist mind happy, I try to weigh my sucess on other things as well, like my mood, overall appearence.....

    Hope you are having a great Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is just what I needed to read today!
    I know I get into the mentalitly of "oh well, I screwed up..might as well eat a whole pie!"
    I am going to remember the snowflake thing next time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post! This is exactly how I think. One slice of cake is not enough to ruin a diet:)

    ReplyDelete