Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Hello, my name is Julie, and I'm a procrastinator!!




"Time = life; therefore, waste your time and waste your life, or master your time and master your life." Alan Lakein


A blog friend of mine asked a critical question in her post "What's getting in your way?" I pondered that for a few minutes and while many things come to mind (such as ice-cream, Lifetime Movies that prevent me from leaving for the gym, etc, etc). It dawned on me that the biggest downfall is that I am an EPIC procrastinator. My picture should be next to that word in the dictionary. My motto is "Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow??" Anyone that knows me personally knows that I am chronically late for everything (can I get an amen)?? I'm the person who gets told 6:00, if they really need me there at 6:30. The girl sliding into the back pew at church 10 minutes after the service has started, the employee briskly walking to the time-clock at work everyday while muttering about the "horrible traffic", the woman you see applying make-up while driving down the highway because I didn't wake up early enough that morning, the person who is texting you saying "don't worry, I'm almost there". Yep, that's me. I went to college in the mountains and the campus had tons of steep hills...I ran around from class to class, sprinting up and down hills and steps, and arrived to each class 5 to 10 minutes late, huffing and puffing. No wonder I ate crappy food and stayed slender back then!!





It doesn't stem from inconsiderateness, or lack of caring. I honestly have the best of intentions. I just always seem to get side-tracked or I think "Oh, I can enjoy this sleep/tv show/quiet time/etc for just a few more minutes. I have plenty of time!" And then something happens when I'm cutting it super close, such as misplacing my keys in the refrigerator, my dog has muddy feet and I have to take care of that before allowing her in the house, my windshield is iced over, etc, etc. This is the story of my life. And it transcends into my workout regimen too. The diet portion of my new lifestyle has gone better than anticipated. For the most part, I've stuck with it, despite a slip up and a margarita here or there along the way, haha! And tonight, I don't know WHAT the deal was but I SO wanted to go eat a Krispy Kreme donut. But, I digress. Working out is something that requires a bit of time management, and scheduling...a skill that I seriously lack in. I hit the snooze button, only to realize ten "hits" later that it's not worth going to the gym if I only have 30 minutes to work out. I get home from work and dilly-dally and facebook, get on here, chat with my husband, love on my dogs, etc. By the time I'm at the gym, I don't have much time for a real workout. This month my work schedule has been insane and I've only had 2 Sundays off, and a half day on Wednesdays. Other wise, it's work, work, work!! I have been utterly and totally exhausted as it's nearing the end of this month. I've only been hitting up the gym about twice a week (three times if it's a good week) and while that's better than nothing, it's not going to yield the results of a goddess-like bod. I've been telling myself, "Once February hits, my work schedule will slow down a bit and I'll have more time and energy and I'll make it to the gym 4-5 times a week instead." I do realize that a person can only do so much, and I have to be realistic and not push myself to the point of exhaustion. But, at the same time, I need to stick with that goal of more physical fitness in February and mean what I say. It's the whole "the diet starts Monday!!!" mentality that has gotten me here in the first place! And that led to the next Monday, the next Monday, the next and the next, 156 Mondays and 50 pounds heavier over the course of three years. So there you have it....I am the Mother of all procrastinators. I have to become a better steward of my time and stick to my February goal. Speaking of which, I have to wake up before the sun rises , and I should have been in bed two hours ago, but alas... Alright...I'm gonna count on ya'll to hold me to that, okay??

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like you have a pretty active job. Have you thought of getting a pedometer? That would show you how much exercise your getting there. It might help you to do silly things to get more exercise....park further away, take the stairs, do a couple lungs/squats at home. Breaking up your exercise might be a good fit for your personality. You have to make this something you can succeed at and something that works for your make up :)

    By the way, my husband is a procrastinator...that's why I have this advice :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time management has been on my mind for several days. I'm horrible at it. I too always think I have enough time and still end up late! February will be better!

    ReplyDelete