Saturday, February 13, 2010

Something to ponder: A must read for those struggling with self-esteem

This is my second post in one day...I'm making up for my slackness, haha! During my workout today with Corletta, I got a dose of inspiration for my blog. (Coco, if you're reading this, it won't make me angry if you also blog about this topic because I know you were pondering the subject as well).

Today I worked out with my girl Corletta (if you don't know Corletta, go check out her blog)! I have had the privilege of being her real-life friend for almost nine years now, ever since we were college suite mates! At any rate, we were busting it on the treadmill and in-between gasps, we were discussing our thoughts/feelings/trials/triumphs, etc during our workout. We got on the topic of what our ideal body type is, and who tangibly represents who we'd love to appear like (that's another blog for another day). She pulled out her magazine and showed me a picture of a muscular tennis player on the courts. My honest response was "Corletta, I think you look just like her!" And her immediate reply was something along the lines of, "Oh, yeah right Jules! This is why I love you, though!"

Her comment matriculated into a discussion of why we seem to be so freaking self-deprecating! Now don't get me wrong, I think a little bit of humility and self-deprecation is beneficial, and I've certainly met some people who needed a whopping slice of humble pie (heck, I've met some that have needed the whole FREAKING pie). But I've caught myself doing the same thing:

Brad: Honey you look beautiful!
Me: Oh, you're just saying that because you're my husband.
Brad: Ugh, why do you do that?!
Me: Do what?!
Brad: Shoot down a compliment I just gave you! Don't you believe me when I tell you that you are beautiful?
Me: I believe that YOU see me as beautiful, but I don't believe that I am. I think the person I see in the mirror is totally different from the woman you see by your side.

Or, not even my husband, but a friend:

Friend: Wow, Jules, you look great! I can tell you're losing weight.
Me: Oh, thanks, but I have a LONNGGGG way to go before I'm where I'd like to be.

Why can't we graciously accept a compliment?? I'm not saying that we have to be cocky and respond, "Oh yeah, I tell myself that every day!" But why can't we reciprocate with "Oh, thanks!" and allow the words to absorb into our self-esteem. I mean, when other women tell me how gorgeous my husband is, or what a kind heart he posseses, I don't reply "Oh, he's okay, but you should smell his farts!" I respond, "Oh man, I know! I struck gold when I found him!" So if we can accept compliments about others, why can't we do it with ourselves?!

So friends, what do you think?!

4 comments:

  1. That is something I have been working on lately. I am trying very hard to just smile and say thank you. Even if the comment is from hubby and I am thinking to myself: you have told me I look good from here to 50 lbs chubbier, ya right. Eventually I hope I believe them too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow.....I just got a slap on the wrist! The conversation between you/husband and you/friend are EXACT duplicates of conversations I have had/been having! Your totally right! We are doing amazing.......and we still continue to put ourselves down. From now on, Im just going to do my best to say "thank you"........

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank You is the surest sign of a lady!

    I'm going to try and do better ma'am.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have way too much that I think about this topic. I think that my thoughts will be tomorrows blog! Stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete