
Did two weeks really go by without a post?? I guess so! Well, I'm proud to say it's not due to headaches or a craptastic work schedule, but due to the fact that I've been taking care of myself and working out like a beast. The week, I have actually worked out 5 days in a row! Last week I worked out 4 days in a row! For those of you that know my poor track record with fitness, I'm fair-weather exerciser. However, I've come to some realizations:
*Working out doesn't have to be traditional in order to be effective.
*Working out can actually be fun.
*Having an i-pod is a requirement, not an option.
*Having a sports-bra is also a prerequisite. :)
*Having some variety has kept me motivated. I do a couple of treadmill/weight workouts a week, a couple of group fitness classes a week, and one "non-workout workout" a week (ie walk with the dogs, etc).
*My body can do more than I give it credit for.
*I'm very Caucasian, but Zumba is a blast. Cycling on a stationary bike with loud music and a disco ball is also more way more fun than I anticipated.
*A gym isn't always a meat-market. Sure you see the stereotypical "Guidos" and "Guidettes" but there are a lot of down to earth people that are there for the same reasons, and there is a lot of camaraderie with that. (If you don't know what a "Guido" is, click on this link for a picture, hehe).
*My body can improve and push harder with each workout.
*I feel like something is missing from my day if I don't work out.
*Working allows me to eat with less guilt (I'm still watching it, but I don't feel the guilt).
*Are those hamstrings I'm starting to see??
*I love the workout buddies that support me.
*I'm totally worth it.
Yep, you read that last part. I don't know if I've ever said that or felt that about myself. I've always made tons of excuses NOT to take care of myself. I just felt like a healthy lifestyle was for another genre of people and that I didn't fit that bill. I always came up with every reason under the sun to not take care of myself or to be a couch potato. My most famous ones were:
*I'm having a "fat" day.
*The diet starts Monday!
*Oh crap..I have nothing to wear to the gym.
*The weather sucks...I'm not going out in this.
*I just got my hair done, and I'm not going to ruin my hair and get sweat in it!
*It's been one heck of a day, and I'm going to park my butt on the couch and watch this Life-Time movie.
*I'm already a fat-so...how much harm is this one slice of cheesecake??
*I can't succeed, because my genetics have destined me to chubbiness. Heck my parents were way skinnier when they were my age than I am now...I am royally screwed.
But for all of those reasons NOT to take care of myself, there are even better ones to refute my excuses.
*I'm becoming a healthier person, inside and out.
*This is for life, not just to reach a goal or get my 20 year old body back.
*When Brad and I start a family, I won't have to worry about major pregnancy complications due to my weight.
*God gave me this one body and this one life...treat it the way it deserves to be treated.
I'm worth it.






Yay! I've missed you. You do deserve it. When you are a better, happier, healthier you it is better for everyone around you too. So it's NOT selfish. The hair excuse made me giggle. I have used, ugh I already showered, if I work out I'll have to shower AGAIN. lol
ReplyDeleteThat's right hott momma; You are worth it! I have totally enjoyed talking to you while stair steppin :) Anyways...I am pumped that you and I are not only doing this, but also doing it together! Whoop whoop!
ReplyDeleteYES you are! Great job! I'm happy to see you.
ReplyDeleteI thought waiting for Monday made me a planner/organized???? LOL Yep, I'm famous for that one and a few more :) Your doing great!! I'm totally motivated....again :-)
ReplyDeleteJulie--I love your statement:
ReplyDelete*My body can do more than I give it credit for.
I recently watched a Biggest Loser "Where are they now?" episode, and one contestant mentioned how we don't push ourselves to the limit often enough. If I remember it correctly, she said, "I won't die if I exert myself completely." I carry that quote with me daily. We have to remind ourselves of that truth. Thanks for this post!!!
I love it when we come to "aha" moments and honest realizations about our journeys. You are totally worth it!!
ReplyDeleteAnd I hear you on the "My body can do more than I give it credit for!" I felt that way at the end of my 1/2 marathon. Maybe we should make that into a shirt!!
You bet you're worth it!
ReplyDeleteThese were wonderful and yes you are worth it.
ReplyDeleteP.S. Love the photos in the side bar!!!
Hey girl...just checking in on you...hope you're doing well.
ReplyDeleteHey girl. Where have you been??? Thinking about you. We gotta stick together. :)
ReplyDeleteHi Julie! Just found your blog and have enjoyed reading about your journey! Hope the headaches have gone away!
ReplyDelete