
The past two weeks, I have had these chronic headaches. They have literally been occurring for two weeks straight. I go to bed with a dull throbbing headache, and I wake up in the morning with that same annoying pain. There is NOTHING worse than waking up with a headache. It doesn't matter what I take, the pain is still there. Sometimes it even starts to evolve into a tension headache and it travels into my neck and upper back area. I really didn't think much of it, but my husband literally has been nagging me for a week to go to the doctor. I would reply, "Honey, I'm sure it's just my sinuses protesting against the pollen, and I'm sure it will clear up on it's own." (That's typically my approach to anything that doesn't involve a high fever).
So, at any rate I saw the doctor yesterday. First, I was bummed out because my typical doctor, that I have seen since 2003, left to go practice in Easley, which is about 25 minutes from where I live. My husband's doctor is wonderful, and I've seen him a few times in a pinch, but they require that you file the claim with your insurance, and have them reimburse you (thus, keeping their price very, very low--a plus for those who don't have insurance...and I think that's the crowd they tend to cater to).
As a result, I got stuck with what I like to call the "Plan-B"doctor (you know the one that always has an abundance of openings)--the doctor that had zero personality, and acted annoyed and bothered that I was there, taking up his time on a beautiful Friday afternoon. He started to have me do these balance/equilibrium exercises that are similar to what one has to do when they get pulled over for a potential DUI. I knew exactly what he was looking for..signs of a brain tumor. When we finished with these oh-so-fun tests, he said he didn't feel like it was a brain tumor, but just having those words mentioned in a doctors appointment sent chills down my spine. I had him check for a sinus infection, which I felt was the cause of these headaches, which resulted in him not being 100% convinced that it was a sinus infection, either. However, he gave me some Augmentin, to treat it like it was a sinus infection, and told me to come back in a couple weeks for a re-check if it weren't any better. Actually, Dr. Personality's last words to me were, "Augmentin, 1 tab, twice daily," then he whisked out of the room without so much as a "good-bye", "any questions about this medication" or "nice meeting you."
That was yesterday, and I STILL don't feel any better. Of course, I know it takes a few days before you can really tell a difference with anti-biotics. I hate being stuck in the dark cloud of the unknown...good news, bad news, whatever...I just need to know so that I can deal with it, be treated with it, and move on!! That last thing I want to do is go workout, because moving around all of the place is NOT going to make my head feel better...if anything it will feel worse. I know some of my workout buddies probably feel like I am not committed or that I've ditched them, but that's not the case. I think they'd be whistling a different tune if their head felt like a pulsating bowling-ball! And if I weren't committed, I don't think I'd still be losing weight consistently, even without working out for the past month.

So I'm left with that question, "What DO I have control over??" I can still control what I put in my mouth. I'm definitely going to have to rebound from a week's worth of poor choices, which has resulted in a one pound gain. Butterfinger Ice-Cream cake remained in the freezer do to husband's protests, but I no longer felt the urge to "even out the edges", haha! Actually, Brad said I could throw it away if I needed to, but that I also needed to learn to look temptation in the face and just say "no" if I was going to be successful, and I think he did have a point. I have to look temptation in the eye and tell it "NO" just about everyday, and part of this journey is learning how to be more disciplined.
So, please keep me in your prayers...that this headache that has lasted about 360 hours now is nothing serious, and will hopefully go away with these medications. Also, I need your opinion...if I do need to go back for a recheck, should I keep it with "Dr. Personality", or hunt down Dr. Hunt (my regular doctor that I've seen for years, and knows my history of chronic sinus-infections)? I think I know the answer to that question already, I just need some feedback.
Alright, off to read your other blogs. I hope to be back to normal soon!!






I would hunt down the doctor that you know and trust.
ReplyDeleteHunt down Dr Hunt!! Easley isn't that far for occasional Dr's appt!! I am gonna go with my answer for your problem...what I wrote on FB...love you sis! Hope you feel better!!
ReplyDeletePoor thing..I hope you get to feeling better. Here in southern Illinois the pollen count is extremely high (mold alone was in the 7000's) and not expected to lighten up anytime soon. Maybe you have allergies? I know I do and that is the reason I've not been able to shake my dull throb that started over 3 days ago..I never can seem to remember which allergy med worked well the last time I had this problem!! :O) take care and chin up!!
ReplyDeleteJulie...
ReplyDeleteSo that you know, this workout buddy, misses you! I don't think that you aren't committed; however, I do think that you HATE me! jk...I have felt ditched because I haven't heard from you. Now I know. Sorry your head hurts. If I were you, I would, like others have said, find the doctor that you like and stick with him/her. Let me know if I can help!
Corletta, I didn't hate you, but I thought you were starting to hate me! I saw several blogs where you were talking about being the lone ranger and I felt bad, and thought you were calling me out, haha! I guess that's my conscience telling me, "Julie, you need to get back!"
ReplyDeleteHey girl...
ReplyDeleteI had a chronic headache for a few months one time (and still have quite a few headaches). Anyhow...they did an MRI...nothing there. Oh...a brain...but nothing bad :) It seemed to be stress induced. Do you happen to clench or grind your teeth at night? TMJ can mask itself as headaches...in my case anyhow.
Hang in there...