Thursday, May 27, 2010

True Grit


When we think of an inspirational work-out hero, someone like Jillian or Bob may come to mind. Perhaps it's someone we know in real life that has made a transformation, or takes excellent care of themselves. It could be the stranger that we see in the gym, day after day, whose physique we covet. However, last evening, I was reminded that being a role model isn't always someone who has already "arrived", but perhaps it's the person that is putting forth every effort to better themselves, no matter the circumstances.
All seriousness aside, I was at the gym last night. I had every intention of going to Zumba, but it is such a popular class, that people are crammed up like sardines. At my gym, you can see part of the class through a glass window...those are usually the late comers, because most people don't like to be a fish in a bowl. Arriving just in time for the class to start, I realized that I did not want to be on display (let's just say I have fun in Zumba, but I'm not a star student). I hopped onto an elliptical next to Corletta, and worked out alongside my friend instead.
A few minutes later, Corletta exclaimed, "Aw!! That is the CUTEST thing EVER!!!!" I turned to see an elderly man, probably young 70's, in the back left corner of the Zumba class, on display for everyone to see. He was mostly bald, wore glasses, and while he wasn't enormous, he did have a spare tire...it's obvious that he's trying to better himself, even in his old age. Bless his heart, he was probably the only man in the class, he had two left feet, was several paces behind everyone, and had absolutely NO rhythm, but it was the most adorable thing. Most of the time he would pace back and forth, do some of the arm movements, bob up and down, and made ill-fated attempts to swing his hips (it was a very stiff, whole-body, hula-hoop type movement). While he didn't know the steps, and stuck out like a sore thumb, he didn't give up. It drew the attention of others, who would look and "awww...", and even brought a personal trainer to near tears, because she was so moved by his determination. While that may have been his first and only time, he made it through the entire class, and as I was leaving, the poor old man was in the juice bar, looking quite spent.
What made for a very ironic form of entertainment during my workout session caused me to ponder. How many times have passed up an opportunity because I felt like I wasn't qualified enough, wouldn't fit in, etc etc? How many times have I dieted and exercised for all of the wrong reasons, instead of all the right reasons? That senior citizen taught me a lesson about courage, determination, perseverance, and about being an individual. Fitness heroes aren't always the ones who have the perfect body or who come with all the answers. My inspiration came in the form of an elderly man who reminded me that it isn't about the end results, but rather the effort that is required before arriving...true grit.

5 comments:

  1. aw.
    I wanna be like him! Good for him gettin some good gumption up for the rest of the day! I'm sure he'll be back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY GOODNESS!!! Brought tears to my eyes!! If I would have been there I would have squealed and cried. I can just imagine how ADORABLE he was!!!!!!! LOVE HIM already and I don't even know him!!!!
    What a great story Julie! He touched everyone's heart who saw him (I can say that knowing it is 100% true).

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's an awesome story and conclusion. Sometimes I don't do things because I'm afraid others will stare and laugh...Maybe I should look at it from the other point (that they may actually cheer sincerly).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you have a great weekend....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey girlie...

    Glad to see your back and doing well :)

    I wish I could come work out with you and Corletta....that would be great.

    I haven't tried Zumba. It looked way to intimidating for my chicken self...lol.

    ReplyDelete