Monday, March 1, 2010

To Be Perfectly Honest....

To be perfectly honest with ya'll, I am SOOO over this whole lifestyle change. (I know that sounds harsh, but I'm being honest). I see this happen to me every single time, it's like a vicious pattern...the first month I'm hardcore, gung-ho, super self-disciplined...the second month I have my good days and my bad days, but overall I'm still trying and I hang in there...by the third month, I'm SO over it! Whoever said that a new habit can be created within 30-40 days must not have been thinking about eating (or trying to break a lifetime of horrible eating/exercise habits). I'm writing this not to drag everyone down, but to get it out of my system and hopefully have ya'll come after me like a bunch of ninjas!!


Not only is everything losing it's novelty, but I battle with another issue...and that is, I always develop this sense of "entitlement." For example:


1. Work has been insane for the past 3 weeks, I've been coming in early, staying late, pulling extra shifts, so therefore I'm "entitled" to eat fast food and not take the time to prepare healthier meals.


2. I've been tired lately because of everything going on, and I busted it at the gym the other day, so I'm "entitled" to sleep in today and not wake up early and work-out before heading in to work.


3. I've written down every single thing I've eaten over the past two months, so I'm "entitled" to take a week off writing down every thing I put in my mouth and calculating the points values.


4. Once we get through this crazy spell of being short-staffed, I get to take over Jane Doe's old position and get much better hours, I'll have the whole day after 2:00 to workout, worry about what I eat, so I'm "entitled" to not worry about it now, and worry about it later.


5. I'm exhausted, and it's been a long day, and I'm "entitled" to watch TV instead of logging on here and blogging and commenting on other's blogs.


Yes, friends, these are real thoughts and real events that have happened over the past two weeks, most notably last week. (So much for inspirational "hero" Monday...I wasn't feeling very inspired). I need the strengh to dig deep and keep going...I'm sure it's just a psychological hump that I need to get past, and then hopefully I'll be home free. Is anybody else feeling like this, already gotten past a phase like this, or could anyone just offer some advice (and come after me like a ninja)?!
PS. I promise to stop by blogs later tonight!! And Lisa...I'm so glad you are back...that has given me a huge dose of encouragement right there.

6 comments:

  1. You are such a cutie. I literally got back on checked on Corletta...then headed over to your blog and saw your post. I called my husband and said.."Oh my gosh...they have actually posted that I'm missing...I restarting a blog!!"

    I can't come at you like a Ninja...I like you too much :)

    You know how I feel about weight loss. It's DRAINING!! This intuitive eating thing is really wonderful so far. Today is Day 7. I have no clue what is happening with my weight, since I've banished my scale to a dark closet. Serves it right for being such a negative downer all the time :)

    Be kind to yourself. Everyday is a brand new clean slate to do with as you choose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely understand how you are feeling. It's funny how our brains trick us into doing what we KNOW we shouldnt ;) The past couple of weeks I went through a slump like this and it really took a day of reevaluating WHY I am doing this. Why am I trying to lose weight? To be healthier...to feel better. Focus on the end result...and the middle will take care of itself. You can do it!!! We can do it together :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie,
    Because I have known you for AGES and because I love you...I WILL come at you like a NINJA!!! I have indeed been where you are in the past, present, and, I assure you, in the future! For me, being honest with myself was key. I thought, "Corletta, how miserable are you?" I realized, not miserable enough. So...do some more self-reflection and let me know what you think. So that you know...your post just motivated me to rid myself of the entitlement mentality. I too think more highly of myself than I should....you know what I mean?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am just not going to let you off the hook. LOL! You sound really stressed with work and all, but exercise is a great stress reliever. Maybe just try to stick with meals you know have worked in the past and save the time of writing things down. This will free up some time and give you less to stress about. Try to fit in some exercise at your lunch hour if that is possible.

    You don't want to regret not giving it your all. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally commented on this before! I'm sorry. Come one Julie. COME ON JULIE! get in gear, fuel up, we're going. NOW.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, ninja, I can do that, lol.
    Here's the thing, you are entitled to good healthy food, you are entitled to a strong healthy body, you are entitled to feel great about yourself, and you are entitled to a long healthy life. All that other stuff is just false comfort. It doesn't help and it won't make you feel better in the long run. Everyone struggles. You're in a rough patch, but I believe in you to get through it! HUGS

    ReplyDelete